As I mentioned in my previous blog post, resistance is a powerful force that keeps us from creating the life of our dreams.
We may not beat resistance completely but we can manage it on a daily basis. Resistance is like an enemy that we have to face every day of our lives.
Here are some techniques to overcome resistance:
1) Become aware of it! Most of the time, we are not aware that the resistance is there. Instead of doing the most important thing, we go and do something else. We watch TV instead of writing an ebook. That is resistance. Recognising resistance is the first step to counteract it.
2) Become a pro. This is the main technique that Steven Pressfield explains in his book The War of Art: A professional shows up on the job every day no matter what but an amateur keeps saying “I’ll do it tomorrow”. Make the attitude switch in your mind from being an amateur to being a professional. Have a routine!
3) Have courage. Face fear and do whatever you need to do. Don’t wait for the fear to go away because it will never go away as long as you continue to grow. Most of us believe that we must first overcome our fears and then do our work. The truth is, fear can never be overcome and no one achieves anything of significance without experiencing fear.
4) Take baby steps. If you want to write an ebook, write the first line, then the first paragraph, then the first page. If you write just one page every day, you will have written 60 pages within two months. Just take lots of baby steps. They become cumulative and become breakthroughs.
5) Show up more. Woody Allen said “80 per cent of success is just showing up”. Show up so that the world knows who you are and what you can offer. Don’t hide out and don’t wait to feel confident to show up. Confidence shows up when we do. An imperfect execution is better than perfect planning. Be visible in the world, put yourself out there to be seen and known.
6) Educate yourself and develop a strategy. For example, if you want to become self-employed, find information on how to set up a business and learn what steps you need to take. Make a plan.
7) Get support and encouragement. One of the most important things to help us overcome resistance is to surround ourselves with like-minded people who are walking a similar path and going through similar experiences. Create a circle of supporting people who are experiencing resistance from within and from those around them.
8) Do not focus on yourself. Focus on fulfilling your true potential and sharing your gifts with the world. Your contribution to other people’s lives is more important than your fears.
9) Trust in your own growth. Have faith.
It is a myth that successful people do not have resistance. Most successful people still experience resistance and it is NORMAL. They just know how to overcome it on a daily basis and they don’t let their resistance squash their potential.
Finally, don’t forget that all the tips in the world won’t make a difference unless you just sit down and start!